How To Make Kefir Cheese (and why you should!)
Drinking milk kefir will give you a dose of gut healthy probiotics in each sip, making it a great drink for just about anyone. Healthy benefits in a delicious beverage is a win-win. (Learn how to make milk kefir here!)
Did you know that you can use milk kefir to make cheese, too? Kefir cheese is a homemade soft cheese made from probiotic-rich milk kefir.
You won’t believe how easy it is to make kefir cheese.
Why You Should Make Kefir Cheese
Kefir cheese is a great way to use up extra milk kefir. You get the same gut healthy benefits from this versatile cheese.
Making your own soft cheese is a great money-saver as well. It’s like you are getting 2 products out of 1!
When traditional kefir is too strong a taste for the sensitive palate or children or someone who’s just getting accustomed to fermented dairy, kefir cheese can mask that strong flavor because it can be seasoned to suit any palate!
How To Use Kefir Cheese
- Great on bagels, crackers, or toast!
- Use as a veggie dip.
- Sprinkle on salads for a tangy bite.
- Leave the seasonings out and use in place of cream cheese in cheesecake (you can thank me later for that!).
- Use leftover dripped whey to soak grains or oats.
- Use leftover dripped whey as a starter for lacto-fermented vegetables!
- Use leftover dripped whey in soups and chilis for a pro-biotic rich addition.
Do you know how to make kefir cheese? What are some of your favorite ways to use it?
- Heather Harris